My little grand babies

My little grand babies

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Nature's Bounty


There is nothing quite like fresh vegetables from the garden. This year my son built me a raised garden in my backyard. We filled it with some really awesome compost from a local composting coop and planted a number of vegetables. I was afraid it was too late in the season to get a good crop because we did not put our plants in till June and it is first week of October 2011 now.

We have harvested almost everything in it except the sweet potatoes. I have been wanting to dig them up from the ground, but have been trying to be patient and also wait till some of my grand kids could help me. Well, as you can see we have some really large sweet potatoes. The first picture is from only one plant. We planted 3 plants and have enough to last us for a while! We harvested about 31 between medium to very large, some measuring more than 10 inches in length and then about 12 what I will call fingerlings.

I have been reading up on when to harvest them since I have never planted them before and all of the videos I saw, the potatoes were nice size, but not as big as ours. I am wondering if I have stumbled onto something. I put tomato stakes in the middle of the plants so the vines would grow up instead of out (for space saving only) and I am wondering if the potatoes are bigger because all the energy went to one spot. If anyone knows anything about how sweet potatoes grow under ground please send me a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment